POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Comments on Animation Scripting.... : Comments on Animation Scripting.... Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Comments on Animation Scripting....
From: Marvin Taylor
Date: 20 Feb 2004 16:02:32
Message: <403675e8$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, I'm really curious how people do animations in POV-Ray, especially
those not using Moray or Poser, etc.

Given that my animations are entirely written in SDL, there are tricks
to that which I have learned (and some tricks I struggle to un-learn).
Anyway, I'll propose some things which *I suggest* make it easier to
script animations of complex scenes:

1) Separate the complex object definition ("character definition") from
the motion definition ("animation script").  This will localize code and
allow a "character" to be used in different works  -- even allowing
different scenes in the same work to be developed separately.

2) Organize the motion chronologically, not by character.  This is
important in the development process while time lines are being adjusted
to get the action that is intended, especially when causality is to be
implied.

3) Allow exceptions to suggestion #2, so that things which are not
interrelated can be scripted separately, but happen in parallel.

Comments?
Marvin

PS: I'm familiar with ClockMod, but don't see how it could implement #2
or #3, and #1 isn't trivial.